Saturday, October 4, 2008

I made a pillowcase!

Truth be told, I was always a little afraid of making a pillowcase. It just wasn't 'my cup of tea'!

Imagine my surprise (or perhaps, dread!) when I received the e-mail saying that the Oconomowoc Quilt Guild will be collecting pillowcases filled with goodies for the soldiers overseas at the October meeting! A fellow member then sent an e-mail with instructions for a pillowcase but it left out the dimensions to cut the fabric. This lead me to surf the web and I found this pattern from the Quiltmaker Magazine. I was a little worried that the pillowcase might be too small as my fabric was only 40 inches wide. So I tried a 'standard' pillow...very roomy. So then I tried a 'queen' pillow...a little snug around the middle but still plenty long enough. The picture is with my queen pillow inside. I'm so happy that I did this! I will definitely make more of this style of pillowcase for the guild meeting and for Alycia's 'No Soldier Forgotten' Quilt Drive that I am making quilts to give. Here is Alycia's main blog link, as of this posting Alycia has collected 118 of 400 quits! WOW!

I enjoy trying new things and am always relieved when the new project works out :)

6 comments:

Stephanie D. said...

Very nice! In June our guild just did a "round robin" of crafts, and how to make a pillowcase was one of the stations, as was fabric postcards, needlepunch, etc.

I still have the photos I took and the instructions, but haven't made any yet. Did you use the same cotton you use for quilts or did you get polyester blend, or what?

Sue R said...

Way to go, Pat, it looks wonderful! I thought it was pretty easy to do when I made mine, just took me a little extra time on the first one to learn the process. My friend Barb makes pillowcases for her grandkids every Christmas. It would be a nice little extra next time you make a quilt for someone too. I read Alycia's blog about the QOV--she is doing an amazing job collecting quilts. You deserve a big pat on the back for helping out with this.

Lori in South Dakota said...

Sounds like you're on a roll! Glad you found a good quilt pattern, I may dig out my serger and try it! After all, you've tested it!

Martha said...

I am so glad you linked to the pillowcase pattern. I actually came to search the net for one. I have several quilts in process for Christmas and want to include a pillowcase. Thanks a million!

Cher said...

nice job Pat, I felt the same way! dragged my feet forever and had collected 5 different ways to make pillowcases LOL...when I finally sat down and just did it- piece of cake.

Alycia said...

Looks great!