DD wants to try balancing a raw egg on it's pointed edge~good luck with that, sweetie!
Time for me to review my Summer 2011 *To Sew* List.
Looks like some of the more peskier projects are hanging around, still. Next week~it will be done! I finished most of the bigger items and a few items that never made it to the list. All in all...I happy with the progress made in the sewing room over the summer. Even though I still continue to buy fabric~I am noticing more room on the shelves. And THAT is a very good thing, indeed. :)
I'll be back next week with a list of sewing goals for Fall 2011. I need to put some more thought into it as we approach the Holiday season and it's sewing. Later, 'gators!
I finished sewing the miles of binding back for my place mats and table runner.
I was disappointed in the quilting of the table runner so I quilted some more on Baby Brother. I have some tucks and puckers~that are on the front! Then I remember that this is the purpose of this table runner. Ummm~can hardly notice those tucks and puckers with all the *stuff* on it! :)
On the design wall today, my fall place mats and table runner. I think next time, I will make my skinny strip even skinnier. I didn't have enough of either focus fabric for four place mats so I am going to be rocking *the mix and match* look for fall. :)
In between my two guild meetings yesterday, I was able to finish sewing back the binding on *Racing Sail Boats*.
Thanks to LindaJ, who helped me with the pattern and Pam, who named the quilt. :)
Why I really finished *Racing Sail Boats* so quickly was because I was challenged to make *something * with the star and stripes backing fabric. I had won it in a draw in July at the Oconomowoc Quilt Guild. The stars/stripes fabric feels more like a homespun but it was a Moda on the selvage. Won't my friend, Sharon be surprised that I actually accomplished the challenge!
As I was trolling the web last night and since my key leash is looking pretty sad, I decided to make a new one. Stephanie at Loft Creations posted this tutorial. I followed it~sorta. :) Next time I will need to find the fusible interfacing to stiffen up my key leash and maybe, follow her sewing instructions. :)
The blue snowflake is the old leash and the white on black polka dot is the new.
And yes, I am still rocking my Southlake Carroll Dragon's key chain~even though I have been gone from Southlake, Texas almost 5 years now! Doesn't seem that long ago, now does it?!
My sewing plan went awry today! Has that ever happened to you?!
I planned one thing, did another, only to end up with something entirely different than expected! lol!
I was sewing up this staggered bricks that I first saw on LindaJ's blog. I had gotten fabric that I thought *went with* two different fabrics that would be the outer border. Then I decided it needed an inner border...black would do nicely, I thought. Well, I stuck this piece of black and white checkered fabric and wow! I really liked it. So~I thought~let's use the checkered fabric and I'll find some race cars in the cupboard. On went the checkered fabric...you guessed it! I must have used the race cars because I could NOT find any! ummm...the first two potential border fabric didn't look *right* with the checkered border so instead of rip...rip...rip...I found this other sailboat fabric. I had less than a yard so I needed to be creative with the cutting...then I cut it wrong! arggghhh.
Finished size for my Quilt Gone Awry: 46 x 64. Another *What WAS she thinking quilt* for me. :)
After our summer hiatus, my day guild meets this week. We supply cancer recovery totes to two local hospitals' Breast Cancer Treatment Centers. Sadly, I'm thinking the supply will be low.
So I made up a few bags. Well, I went a little overboard and made my personal donation quota for the whole year. :) Thanks to DD and DH being gone yesterday afternoon, I made up 5 bags and made three this morning.
On Saturday, DD went to work with DH so that I was able to go the the Quilt Expo.
I always enjoy visiting the quilt exhibit, but I really like visiting all the vendors!
I was able to find a few items to follow me home. I really, really like the vendors that pair fabric and a pattern together. The roll of fabric is my choice with the free pattern. The others are 1 yard cuts that will be made into the cancer recovery totes~I think!
I also have a few ideas swirling around in my head...like I need new ideas to muddy the waters, right?! I should record them here so that I don't forget about them! I took a few pictures of the show quilts to remind myself. :)
The DC Modern Quilt Guild is hosting 100 Quilts for Kids. If you hop on over to Kate's blog~Swim, Bike, Quilt~she explains it all! You can also click on their logo in my sidebar and it will take you to the informational blog post. I am planning a couple of donation quilts to Margaret's Hope Chest and The 100 Quilts for Kids quilt drive and prizes sweetens the deal! A win-win!
So~here's what I've got to donate.
I Spy Animals in Boxes~Twin A.
I SPY Animals in Boxes~Twin B.
The twin's back. Well, only one back but they are they same. After all, they are twins! Look~there is even a label in the lower corner...
I quilted Animals in Boxes Twin A on Labor Day and it has sat over the long arm until today.
I quilted it with the Inkblot panto. I wanted something simple to hold the layers together and not block the animals in boxes. :)
I did make bias binding out of the stripe material so that I would have a diagonal binding. I followed Bonnie Hunter's bias tutorial, found here. I thought I was making enough binding for Twin B also but no~I forgot to double my number so only bias binding for Twin A. At least, I will be able to practice making bias binding again. :)
I've been working towards my goal of finishing up the QOV's so that they will be ready to send to Alycia~more on that later....