T-shirt quilt update:
I finished piecing the shadows, now I need to decide on a layout. The *design team* (DS & his GF) thought the t-shirts would have more interest if the shirts were scattered. I had the same size shirts all in a column. I agree, it does add interest but also more work as I need to calculate and add white spacers to the left side of the shirts to bring each column to an equal width.
I'm following Linda J's tutorial here for the design of the tshirt quilt.
While I was thinking this over, I wanted to do some *mindless* sewing. 4 patches came to mind but the 2.5 inch r/w/b strips were calling my name. So I sewed the r/w/b strips together. I sewed some continents together and next the r/w/b world will be sewn together. Of course, then the inner and outer borders will follow. This will be a good example of a project using the 2.5 inch strips won in the exchange earlier this month. I think I used all 6 strips that I won! And you know, it was fun to sew with someone else's fabric!
At the end of my last continent, my top thread ran out. Perfect timing, amazing. I had purchased one of these big cones of thread and I'm going to sew with that for a spell and see how I like it. I also couldn't remember the last time I changed my needle so I did that, too. This would mean that I probably need to clean the lint out of the bobbin area, too. :) Thanks, Lori for reminding me to change out my needle!
I keep my needles and rotary blades (both new and used) in this Valentine tin on the cutting table. The old needles go into the medicine bottle (dated 2003!) and the blades go into the well marked container. I buy the blades in a 5 pack when they a) go on sale at JoAnn's or b) have a 40% off coupon that is about to expire.
ps. You may still enter Bell Creek's Birthday Give Away. Click here and check out the birthday presents!