Monday, September 1, 2014

Happy September 1st!

Greetings!

We arrived home late last night from our vacation and today is filled with the post vacation activities.

For me: laundry and a trip to the grocery store.
For DH: a breakfast food trip to the grocery store (he's an early riser), wash of the minivan and bicycles followed by mowing the yard. Thankfully the weather is co-operating.
For DD: last day of summer vaca - she's on a Grey's Anatomy marathon.
For DS: business as usual… he manned the *fort* and kept the home fires burning for us!

The beginning of the vacation was a trip to Mackinac Island with an overnight stay! two actually.  This is one of my bucket list items…I always wanted to sight see at a leisurely pace.  Also DD took about 300 photos of the Island and Island life. We got soaked a couple times but all in all…I can't complain! We just did indoor activities when it was rainy. :)

Here are a few of her unedited pictures:

 A ferry bringing tourist over to the Island.
The view of Grand Hotel from the ferry.

We toured the Fort.







The view of the harbor from the Fort.



We watched the firearms demonstrations. This cannon is from 1842, I believe.








We toured one of the two Butterfly Houses on the Island.







 DH took us on a Carriage Tour so that I didn't have to climb the steps (like a million!) to view Arch Rock.

Mackinac Island is known for their fudge. What a better fudge shop to shop at than JoAnn's?

Did I ever share that my Mom wanted to name me Joan?!


We then headed to my in-laws cottage in lower Michigan. On the way there, my fuel pump died. Very luckily, we coasted to a stop at the only rest area between Mackinaw City and Grayling, Michigan (our destination). Very very luckily, my FIL was at his property in Grayling and came to rescue us! You see, my SIL was having outpatient knee surgery that day and my MIL stayed behind to help out.

The next day, DH and FIL took out the elderly neighbor's pontoon and FIL's.  I was able to eek in my pontoon ride of the season as DH drove it over to the boat ramp to take it out of the water to store for the winter. A few niece/nephews arrived later in the day…it was their Mom who had the knee surgery.

The next day, things went downhill really fast. FIL, DH and the kids were taking the SeaDoos out when my FIL fell on the slippery ramp. He landed on his head…ouch.  Concussion, 5 staples to close the head wound and a #6 rib broken rib…not a good thing.  :(  He's 75.

A good thing, more reinforcements arrived in the form of the two BILs/SILs. After getting Grandpa and SIL--knee--situated, everyone worked really hard to get the SeaDoos and speed boat out of the water. The boys were actually trailering the speed boat over to the storage shed after dark.

Sunday was the dock and lift removal day. So many helped from either side of the cottage plus all the brothers and their kids.  My other SIL scrubbed the boat lift canopy before it was stored for the winter. Many hands made light work! I was on Grandpa duty and I'm happy to report he only escaped once from me to get outside to check on the removal process! DH thinks he'll need to make a trip back in October to help with the leaves and get the cottages ready for winter time.

One sad note --- the quilt shop in town closed.  :(  Another smaller one opened so it was fun to look at her selections but I didn't buy any fabric or quilting related souvenirs.

Thanks for sticking with me and reading along. DD started school tomorrow -- 10th grade. I'm hoping for more time in the sewing room but this week brings QUILT EXPO to Madison!  I'll be spending a day there!  :)

3 comments:

Cher said...

what an eventful vacation! Glad you got to do some fun stuff before all the family helping kicked in...10th grade??? how ever did that happen? These children insist on growing up...I do hope you find more me time soon.
enjoy Quilt Expo!

Nancy said...

Certainly a memorable vacation. Glad that your FIL and SIL are on the mend.

I love visiting the island and would adore staying there overnight. How well I remember the delicious fudge and salt water taffy shops!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Wow! what a vacation. My parents were on the island too - I wonder if you all met and didn't know it. Pontoon boat rides... so much fun!