Monday, September 8, 2014

Around the World Blog Hop 9.8.2014

I was invited to join in the Around The World Blog Hop! What a fun idea! You will learn a little about me and will be able to travel back in time to visit with the blogger who invited me to participate.  At the end of this post - I'll introduce the two bloggers who accepted my invitation to participate in the Around The World Blog Hop.

I was invited by: Alycia of Alycia Quilts fame!  I met Alycia online - but not in person (yet!) - through her amazing work with Quilts of Valor. I hope one day to be able to meet up with Alycia as I feel she is a kindred quilting spirit!

:)

1. What am I working on?

Right now, I am concentrating on quilting for the 100 Quilts for Kids Challenge hosted by Heather at Quilts in the Queue. The quilts I am making will be going to Margaret's Hope Chest for their Prison Ministry Outreach.  They are in need of boyish quilts to take into the Michigan Prison system. This Ministry is very personal to me as we currently have a family member incarcerated. Through her years in and out of the system, she has lost custody of her three children. Fortunately, her mom (DH's Auntie)  has custody of the kids and is raising them.

I am sewing up some of my rwb quilts, in hopes that the children will like them. My patterns are a little small for the new Quilt of Valor requirements so I am going to have to re-visit patterns that make up to the new QOV size of 60 x 80.

Here is a quilt with a Eagle panel inset. This is the Mock Trip Around the World pattern.

Here is a rail fence in red/blue. My rails are cut at 3.5 inches, blocks at 6.5 inches.

I might add this flag border to jazz it up. I'm thinking of naming it *#USA*…get it? or maybe not…

I saw this on this post of Cynthia's at Quilting is More Fun than Housework.








2. How does my work differ from others?

Hummmmm….tough question. I tend to use lots of squares and rectangles in the patterns I make. It's TRUE! When I appliqué - raggy edge all the way. I do piece stars but I either float the points or make them wonky.

God Bless the Quilter that developed the Wonky Style!

3. Why do I create what I do?

The creation of quilts is an outlet from my more organized life. I think this is one reason why I like the wonky style - it gives me a sense of freedom in my structured life. Plus, quilts are a great gift! I've always explored some sort of craft. I've been known to dabble in painting, calligraphy, basket making, card making and scrap booking to name a few. Notice cooking and baking are NOT on the list!

4. How does my creative process work?

I like to think of patterns as guidelines, free to be interpreted by the individual quilt maker.

5. Who am I?


I'm Pat.

A daughter, sister, wife, in-law, mother, friend, quilter and hockey fan.

I've been sewing for about 13 years.













Who did I invite? Please meet:

Holly at Fabric Mom.

     Holly and I met through blogging. Holly was one of the first to reach out to me when I was a new blogger in 2008. Starting a blog was a giant leap of faith for me and Holly help to reassure me that all was well (and fun!) in blogland! Holly has turned her talents to embroidery and pattern writing to just name a few of her talents! She is indeed a kindred quilting spirit!

Pam at Mamaspark's World

     Pam and I also met through blogging. She asked for greens and I responded to her request. We have been great friends since then!  We were also fortunate to meet up *in person* a few times! Blogger friends are great online and even greater in person! Pam's talents have taken her in many directions, too! She has been published on the Moda Bakeshop for Pete's sake - she's a Rock Star! and another kindred quilting spirit!

Be sure to check out both of the ladies' blogs.  You won't be disappointed!

Have FUN!

2 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I LOVE it!!! Your quilts are so fabulous!! And your love of hockey - I think that is awesome!!

Fabricmom said...

Great article. Thank you for being so kind. You gave me goose bumps. I love your humor in the pictures. Great idea. Now how can I possibly top that? I can't. LOL. Has it really been six years. Holy smokes. Time flies. Love the quilts you make. They are always beautiful. GO PENGUINS!