Monday, January 13, 2020

Design Wall Monday 1.13.2020

At the last meeting of the Comfort Quilts of the Oconomowoc Quilt Guild, I snagged 6 bags of fabrics. These fabrics were designated less than desirable for guild use yet too valuable to toss into a dog bed. The Ben Franklin hosts a Quilt-a-thon event every March to celebrate National Crafting Month. Last year, the Ben Franklin made and donated 100 quilts to various charities in the metro Milwaukee area. So...I snagged the bags and am going to work on assembling the tops to give to the Ben Franklin so they in turn, will tie them and donate.

The first bag contained a pre-sewn together jelly roll. Imagine my surprise when I finished sewing and the top measured 26 x 64....yikes! I think it must have only been 20 strips and not the standard 40 strips.

I cut it apart into 5: 5 inch strips. Making it appear as a coin quilt. A little on the weird side but...

I then sashed it with 5 inch cut strips and 5.5 inch cut outer borders. It ended up being 51 x 77 before quilting. I think I need to work on my quilt math...

Note to self: 2 yards was NOT enough fabric for the sashings and borders...


Linking up with

Beth at Monday Making

No comments: