Thursday, September 25, 2008

Projects from Retreat

Here are the projects that I worked on while at retreat last weekend. Sorry for the 'design floor' but I have about 70 6 1/2" squares on the design flannel that I didn't want to take down . :)

First up: A green and yellow rail fence in the Keyhole block setting. I found this setting in The Quilter's Recipe Book by Celia Eddy that I had checked out of the local library. I had already cut my rails at 3.5 inches so I wasn't able to have as many repeats as would have been possible with a 'smaller stair'. This was all of both greens and yellow fabric that I had so I ended up with a staggered set. I like the very graphic-ness (is that a word?!) of the pattern. I still need to add an inner and outer border.


Second: I've been wanting to make a Red /White/Blue QOV for some time now. I cut my r/w/b into strips and took some of them with me. I had seen this Valor quilt by Daniela Stout on her website: Cozy Quilts. It is from her book: The Giving Quilt (the picture is the last one on the page so you will need to scroll down). Again, I like the graphic-ness of the pattern. The girls at retreat said the top star looked 'Superman-ish' so the general consensus was that I should make the second star as close to the first as possible with the strings I had left. Unfortunately, I made one of the lower star points *wrong* and I am seriously debating *frogging* it and inserting a correct block. This one also needs it's borders.

Third and last: I made some Bento Box blocks using 3.5 inch strips. I decided to pair a light with a dark (either red or blue). I had run out of different light 3.5 inch strips so I joined the pairs into a bigger block to transport home. I need to cut some other light strips and make a few more blocks. I may just make this one 'big enough' and skip a border. (sorry...it's a bit fuzzy :) )


All in all, a rather productive weekend filled with friends, fun, laughter, great food, some house problems and sewing! A very memorable time! :)

10 comments:

Lori in South Dakota said...

I'm impressed with all your progress. And what point needs fixing--I can't see it?? So why fix it?? (Did you get ANY sleep at retreat??)

Becky said...

Three impressive projects! What a productive retreat for you. I'm studying your RW & B Bento quilt. a Bento Box quilt is on my list of future projects. Thanks for showing us your projects! I love seeing quilt projects.

InfinityQuilter/Knitter said...

Wow, very nice. Looks like you got a lot accomplished at the retreat.

Sweet P said...

I love your quilts. The green and yellow one jumped off the page to me. It's fantastic.

Stephanie D said...

That's a different setting for rail fence blocks--never saw it before, but I like it.

Bento box is on my list of to-dos also--I've seen so many lately and I like the geometry of those, too.

Judy S. said...

100 yards of fabric! Wow! Sounds like you had a really amazing trip.
We've been gone, too, to the East Coast, and also did some shopping...went to Keepsake Quilting in NH as I've gotten their catalogues for years....very fun. They have needlework, quilting and yarn shops side by side....very dangerous! Oh, am glad to hear your family weathered Ike....even in PA and Ohio people felt its effect. That was some storm.

Karen said...

All three quilts are just lovely. You made a lot of progress during your short stay! Way to go.

Cher said...

I agree, no error in that star point to me! they all look fantastic Pat- each fun and interesting-nice ideas to use strips/rails with too. you certainly managed to be very productive!

Maureen said...

See Pat, I told you no one would be able to find the "error" in your QOV! I am definitely going to committ to making one as well and I might just use this pattern - it is terrific. Love the Bento Box, too. Sorry, I didn't get to see it in person:(

Maureen

Mary Johnson said...

I like the Bento Box, I've been thinking about making a half log cabin quilt with my strings rather than a since width strip....I'm leaning toward pink but the RWB looks good too.