Monday, February 16, 2009

A Helping Hand

Last week as I was reading through blogs, there were opportunities presented to help others devastated by the Bushfires in Australia.

Tracy of Oz Country Quilting Mum is organizing a collection of 12.5 inch (unfinished) sampler blocks in burgundy, plaids, checks, and cream. The block is your choice. Her post can be found here.

Jan Mac of Sew Many Quilts is collecting 'Quilt as You Go' blocks. Her post (and tutorial) can be found here.

I was reading Jacquie's post about the Bushfire Quilt Project, which lead me to Tia's blog. Tia is collecting wonky 12.5 inch (unfinished) star blocks. The tutorial I followed is from Victoria and can be found here. Bonnie of Quiltville has given permission to use a variation of her Maverick Star for this project.

I decided to make 4 wonky star blocks to send to Tia (she provides an APO address to mail the package to...and I'll need a customs form, too). I had just enough of the black multi-colored stripe fabric to make the 4 blocks. The center is actually black with multi-colored polka dots. I decided on this Bushfire Quilt Project because my stash tends to be brights, novelties and, lately red, white and blue. Also I wanted to try the wonky stars without making a entire quilt from the stars. Making these blocks as a helping hand is a good fit for me! :)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Stephanie D said...

Those turned out nicely!

Thanks for grouping some of the projects together. I don't know if I can get the sewing room and fabric back together in time to get any blocks off, but if I do, I know where to look.