Saturday, May 9, 2009

Mystery Quilt Solution

On Wednesday at the Ben Franklin Quilt Club, I received the last clue for the mystery quilt I was participating in. The technique is based on Margaret Miller's book, Strips That Sizzle. There were many options for the final set and it turned out that I had enough blocks to make a nice size cuddle quilt: 54 x 66. The teacher was explaining about setting the blocks when she casually mentioned that any log cabin set would work or a set with blocks that had a light and dark side like split 9 patch.

It was like a light bulb went off in my head! I was so excited!

You see, I was thinking about making an Off Set Spiral quilt for DS but was not looking forward to the 300 hst's it would need if I made split 9 patches for a full size bed quilt.

Picture found on Wonder Cut Ruler wesite gallery.

I rushed home and began placing my mystery blocks on the design flannel. One minor problem I encountered was that the veggie border fabric I had chosen no longer seemed appropriate. So I searched and found this fun, funky shoe print that was gifted to me last year. Gotta love a stash that will has just the right 'weirdness' factor! :)

I'm pretty excited about how this turned out. Now to apply this technique to a black and white quilt~but that is a summer project for me!

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Linda C said...

Yep that was a light bulb moment, Pat! Thanks for IM'ing me to take a look. How cool is that when one class idea solves a problem and can bring a quilt to life?

Cher said...

oh, I would love this quilt! it turned out awesome..tell K if he doesn't like it, I have staked my claim!

Stephanie D said...

I love how this turned out!

Gotta love those flashes of inspiration! And the shoe fabric is great with it.

Cheryl said...

Your version is way cool...I love the eye popping colors!