Monday, February 28, 2011

Chris' Pineapple Blossom

This quilt was inspired by Chris Mueller, #18 Milwaukee Admirals and #53 Nashville Predators. Chris is one of those players that moves freely between the AHL and NHL as needed and he wears a different number depending on which team he is playing with at the time.

Chris is a graduate of Michigan State University whose school colors are green and white. I pieced this back in October 2010. I was debating if I should make more blocks or perhaps add a border to increase the size but at 48 x 60, it passes muster at the minimum (45 x 60) for most donation quilts. I decided to quilt it up, bind and be done with this UFO. (and y'all thought I didn't have UFO's~I just don't blog about them! :) )

pattern source: Bonnie Hunter Pineapple Blossom (like I had to tell y'all!) but I did use 2.5 inch green strips so the block finishes at 12 inches.

quilting source: Trailing Vine from Willow Leaf Studio. I love quilting this panto on any green quilt. :)

bias binding tip: Buzzville.com (here) I simply did the math for length needed then cut and sewed the rectangle as directed. I deviated from the instructions a little bit as I am not a fan of the tube method for bias binding. I cut my strips on the diagonal at 2.25 inches and joined together to get the needed length.

I really like the look of diagonal striped binding. :)

Believe it or not~all from the stash!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a stunner. Green is my favourite colour so its a double winner. Well done !!

Linda C said...

I love it! And why NOT bump up the size of the strips? It works just fine as a 12 inch block.

Lately Bonnie seems to be using a whole lot of 1.5 inch strips and a bazillion number of pieces for her quilts but doesn't she espouse using what we have on hand too?

The striped binding is perfect for this project!