Monday, April 15, 2024

Design Wall Monday 4.15.2024

My friend, Mary volunteered us to help with the Twister Ruler demonstration at the April 24, 2024 meeting. Since I had the smaller and larger Twister Rulers, I offered for Mary to pick which one she wanted to make as the demo when she couldn't locate hers.

Guess what?! She responded neither! She wasn't grooving to the idea of sewing bigger blocks together and then cutting into smaller blocks to sew together again. Plus she thought there would be a lot of waste.

She's NOT wrong! LOL

I decided to use the larger Twister Ruler that starts with 10 inch squares and partner it with a QOV panel because, you guessed it! Another panel challenge due date is May 1, 2024. How do those due dates come around so quickly?!

This is my fabric pull and inspiration photo. Of course, I can't find my original link. grrr. I'm making twister stars on the left in the photo. I thought I had a different horizontal panel but I have two of this eagle print.


Here are the 10 inch blocks sewn together with the border. Looks a little blah...

I'm going to have to make another one to show 'how' the Twister Ruler goes on the pieced piece. I'll add that when I do it, okay? I was so excited to cut and twist that I didn't take the process pictures to post.

EDIT: This is an example of how I move the Twister Ruler for the first three blocks on the initial pieced piece.



Here are the twisted pieces on the design wall.

pattern: large Twister Ruler, star arrangement

As I type, I am washing more patriotic fabric. I seem to have used all the backings I had ready to quilt. (That is simply 2 yard cuts that have been washed waiting for ironing and sewing together into bigger chunks.)

Sharing today with Judy at Design Wall Monday.



2 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

What a pretty way to get the Twister blocks cut! Together with the panel, it will yield a gorgeous quilt top!

Nann said...

Nice way to use the twister blocks. Sometimes the clever method takes more time and effort!
Our guild hosted a workshop with a Jodi Barrows-certified instructor. I bought the square-in-square ruler. The method wasn't conducive to my modus operandi (=scrappy). I came across a Jodi Barrows pattern that used that ruler to make HSTs (=make a square-in-square, then cut it into HSTs) . Talk about going the long way around to make simple units! Fortunately I was able to sell the ruler and the pattern book and recoup some of my money. [I now use the Studio 180 ruler for SIS.]