Friday, February 17, 2023

Finish or NOT Friday 2.17.2023

This week, I'll have to take the 'NOT'.

On Tuesday night at guild, I took my sewing machine to participate in the QOV almost Jelly Roll Race Sew Night. It is almost a Jelly Roll Race as the strips were cut at 3 inches instead of the standard 2.5 inches. Here is my flimsy at the end of 2.5 hours of sewing. It was measuring at approx. 56 x 80 before trimming. There were 42 strips in my bundle.

pattern: modified jelly roll race (strips cut at 3 inches)

Since I needed width but not necessarily length, I decided to insert a vertical row of stars. The guild's challenge for 2023 is 'orphan blocks' so I have a few orphans out milling about the sewing room. Here is one star I saw. This is Sophie's (from Block Lotto) Red Skies with Tall Stars block. Her directions can be found here. The stars measure 6.5 x 9.5 inch (unfinished) and I thought if I made a few more, they would work. I originally made these stars in 2013 and blogged about the finished QOV here.

pattern: Sophie's Red Skies with Tall Stars, found here.

Here's where I ended up at the end of sewing today. I did add one more 3 inch row to the bottom of the 'race' portion of the quilt and a little spacer on the bottom of the star strip to make it even.


pattern: modified jelly roll race with strip of Tall Stars. Tall Stars pattern found here.

I'm not really loving it, but it is growing on me. I'll need to piece a back next and get it into the quilting queue.

Sharing with Alycia at Finish or NOT Friday and


Sarah at Whoop! Whoop

7 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Such a great idea for making a quilt wider! The stars added a lot to your strip quilt design!

grammajudyb said...

I rather like it with the stars added. That’s a great rectangular Star pattern. Thanks for the link!

Kat said...

I really like the addition of the stars. It's really neat!

Judy S. said...

Those tall stars are really interesting. So glad you are brave enough to try something new!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That turned out great with the stars inserted for added width!!

Nann said...

Fun to see a Block Lotto reference. (I miss BL!) The somewhat wonky stars add interest.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I like it with the stars - how fun!