Saturday, January 23, 2021

SoScrappy Saturday 1.23.2021

The color pink continues. 

For a girl that doesn't have a lot of pink in her stash, I'm really making good progress.

I fell in love with this quilt from Alycia and have been on the prowl for an easy (and inexpensive--read 'I really don't want to buy a 60 degree ruler') way to make this. I finally found (or realized!) that if I print out an equilateral triangle, increase the size and tape the long ends together of two...waalaa...a diamond! 

I know! It seems so simple now. I did buy some legal paper and DH feed it through his printer. He just about had a heart attack when I asked for 24 copies. I settle for 12. Here are the first few done in pink.


Sorry for the wonky angle...

I then thought I could work this into a Valentine wallhanging as I lost my kitchen Valentine wall hanging in the move. Actually, I know I used the wallhanging as a packing layer so it's here somewhere but .... I thought it might be faster to make a new wall hanging than search all the boxes.

In any event, I made a few red diamonds. I'm not really sure that I'm liking how the red and pink are playing together.


pattern credit: Alycia's Kevin's Star

Also since I had my 2.5 inch strips out, I cut a few into 5.5 inch rectangles and sewed them together. The result is one pink crayon.


pattern inspiration found here: crayon quilt 

Linking up with SoScrappy Saturday.

12 comments:

Deb A said...

Love how you figured out how to make the blocks without a ruler! the crayon is looking great as well.

scraphappy said...

Great looking pattern, and no specialty ruler! A little paper through the printer is still far less expensive than a new ruler. Pink star points are looking great!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those stars made of diamonds are such a neat design! I like how you figured out how to do it without a specialty ruler. Did you piece right onto the paper? The crayon blocks are a favorite of mine, too!

Kathy S. said...

Your star looks great. LOVE the crayon.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice progress in PINK!!

Kirsten said...

Great job on your star. I really like your workaround for your pink diamonds. Love your crayon as well.

Maggie said...

Love the pink crayon. The star is a fun way to use strips, yes when we ask for many copies, the always get flustered, so it goes on a memory stick and when it is okay, no lockdown restrictions a stop at the copy center is on the list. Have all the bits on the stick, so that it is one trip and it makes hubby happy. His printer is then for his work only.

Cathy said...

You made me laugh when you said it would be easier to make a wallhanging than go find one you already had!

I like the red and pink together and kudos to you for figuring out how to make your star.

grammajudyb said...

I like the red and the pink diamonds together. It will make a great Valentine quilt! And the crayon quilt! Awesome!!

Judy S. said...

When I saw your first photo, I thought "that looks like part of a star" and sure enough, it is and a very pretty one at that. Love the colors! And your creation from the leftovers is very clever. Hope you're having a nice weekend.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I feel the love ;-)

Susie H said...

Fabulous job on pink!! Love the star. Can't believe your husband had a coronary over 24 printouts. He understands that he's only putting off the inevitable, right? You'll be looking for the other 12 copies later? Lol!