Wednesday, February 23, 2022

WIP Wednesday 2.23.2022

 I decided on simple borders for the red truck panel. I needed some simple sewing days!!

Here is the first border, 4.5 inch cut. I did trim the panel right to the printing so no white from the selvages would show if, and when, my sewing was a little wonky.


For the smaller borders, I decided to use up some more 2.5 inch strips. They are various patterns with a mostly light background. Another wider blue border, but it needed more length so I added another light-ish border with red this time. Both the red and blue are cut at 4.5 inches.


I'm still liking it as this point and pretty happy about using the already cut light fabrics. 

BUT...this is where it got a little derailed... I did another border all the way around with the light-ish fabrics. It is very busy then used a darker blue as the final and outer border. The top/bottom blue is cut at 5.5 inches and the sides were cut at 4.5 inches.


My thoughts on this design:

1. To sew as is again,  I think the last 2.5 inch border should have been a calming (or resting) border. I think my eye rests on the clouds in the panel. LOL

2. If I were to change it up a bit, I would sew the panel borders horizontally to 60 inches. I would then build the top and bottom to 80 inches. I have 2 or 3 more horizontal oriented panels - different motifs - that I just might try that design...if I remember!

That's what I've been doing in me sewing space! What have YOU been sewing?

Linking up with Susan at MidWeek Makers

3 comments:

Susan said...

I how this turned out - you did a great job keeping the patriotic theme

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is a really pretty one, Pat! I think that final dark blue border is perfect to frame all the others. Do you donate your quilts like this to QOV? You are so good at these designs!

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

I like how you put it together, all the borders complement the panel perfectly! xx