Wednesday, January 4, 2023

MidWeek Makers 1.4.2023

I finished piecing the Ohio Star quilt as my Carol of Giraffe Dreams memorial. I just need to give it a good press, trim any extra threads and baste the edge seams. Soon it will be ready to mail off.


pattern: Ohio Stars using blue...both of Carol's favorites

During the Rose Bowl on Monday I sewed the 3 incher Jelly Roll Race. Here is the selection of fabrics. As per Lynn, 51: 3 inch cut strips. Of course, I tried to vary the sewing but somehow when you have duplicate or very similiar fabrics, they tend to land next to/ or close together.

First there were pairs.

Next came the strip of fours.


Onto the strip of eights.


Then the sixteen.


and finally the last one that yields the thirty-two strip length.

I gave it a good press using Mary Ellen's Best press and here it is on the design wall.

Some of my strips must have been a little long as it's measuring almost 68 x 80 before quilting. That's okay...I can trim it so that the width is closer to 60 inches.

This was a test run to see if it might potentially be an activity for a guild meeting. It took me about 2.5 hours to sew the seams to make it a top. I feel that's a little too long for a guild meeting but might be a fun activity at a retreat...if one was so inclined to have organized activities. 

I'm glad I made it and now I know. Plus one more veteran will be covered. win-win.

Sharing with Susan at MidWeek Makers



4 comments:

Carol R. said...

I've done the 1600 race a couple of times but only with 2.5" strips. Is there an advantage to using 3" strips other than it might make the quilt top longer?

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Ohio Star top looks great! I really like the way you made the borders with two strips and the squares in the corners. Interesting to read about the strip quilt, too. I have a big bunch of 3 inch strips from a kit I'm not going to make. I wonder if there are 51? I'll have to count them!

Susan said...

Both quilts look great!

Nann said...

We did jelly roll race quilts at a guild meeting where the theme was charity projects and, yes, we had to take them home to finish the piecing. As I recall we were instructed to bring 2.5" strips, either as a purchased jelly roll or cut from our stash in a theme/colorway of our choosing.