Wednesday, April 19, 2023

WIP Wednesday 4.19.2023

I sashed my jelly roll blocks, simply with a red. I needed a bit more length, so I added a few 2.5 inch squares sewn into a strip. Truth be told, I had two leftover light blue strata and two leftover dark blue strata. I just cut off the appropriate size and sewed it together! Yea for 'using what you have'!

I'm calling this one done and will plan on a quilting-polooza to long arm my growing collections of flimsies (aka UFO's!). 😍


pattern inspiration: found on Pinterest here. It's only a picture with no link up.

The 2023 Casual Quilters Challenge is Orphan Blocks. The quilts are due at the June meeting for voting. The winner receives a cash prize and runs the following year Challenge. I was looking for something totally different that doesn't 'scream PAT' and settled on the crayon blocks from RSC2021. I had decided against using the brown and teal crayons in the 2021 quilt  (you'll need to scroll down as I never gave this quilt it's own finished post) so those were my base for the 2023 Orphan Block Challenge. I made more crayons in red, yellow and orange. I'm trying to decide on how many more crayons to make. That will determine the size of the quilt. I was wanting to stay away from purple...my purple stash is dwindling and I feel purple/pink will send this quilt to a more feminine tone than I want.


pattern inspiration: found on Pinterest, here. It's only a picture with no link up.


3 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The jelly roll strips cut into squares make a fun design! I love your crayon blocks, too. I enjoyed seeing your round-up of quilts for 2022's H2H drive. You're an inspiration, Pat!

Nann said...

I like the sashing for the jelly roll strips -- gives it a "designed" feel rather than strips-sewn-as-they-are. Orphan blocks are a great challenge theme!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Thats a great way to use those strips!!!
Love the color combo