Saturday, June 29, 2024

SoScrappy Saturday 6.29.2024

Today is the fifth Saturday of June of the color blue. I missed reporting the first Saturday, so today is my day to showcase the Meals on Wheels place mats that I have been making this year.

Now this challenge was definitely a challenge. The theme of the Table Scraps June 2024 is watermelon. To me, blue and watermelon just don't mix. I did 'see' watermelon fabric on blue background...YES! That would work BUT the idea is to try and use what you have.

After trolling Pinterest, I found this image and thought I could make it work.


Here are my watermelon slices. On the top far left is the 4 patch. Next to it, is the one fabric slice with a bite out of the edge. On the bottom row is an even easier sewing version for me. One fabric slice with a bite out of the middle.


Next, I used blue as the background!


I quilted wavy lines on the place mats. Two were bound in the green plaid...which now only a few scraps are left and blue bindings on the others.


I did struggle with this challenge but am happy I stuck with it. Even if the piecing was a little harder than I wanted to make for Meals on Wheels place mats!

Sharing today with SoScrappy Saturday and 




10 comments:

Sara said...

Very cute watermelon slices, especially with the little bites out of each.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your watermelon blocks are cute!!! And the blue background is perfect for the placemats. Great job figuring this one out, Pat!

scraphappy said...

What cute placemats. I am sure the recipients will appreciate the extra time that they took.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Your Meals on Wheels clients are going to love the watermelon placements. They are so whimsical.

grammajudyb said...

A win for you! Watermelon slices on blue! Fantastic!

Anne-Marie said...

How cute! Great way to use up blue and stick to your theme.

Delighted Hands said...

The place mats are so sweet--the bite out of them is the best touch!!!

Vicki in MN said...

You pulled off this challenge very sweetly!

SueR said...

Great way to use the stash, and the blocks are very cute and summery! I love the photo in your header!

The Joyful Quilter said...

So super cute, Pat! Thanks for joining in the TABLE SCRAPS Challenge Link Party!