Sunday, April 11, 2021

Outstanding Blogger Award 4.11.2021

 Thank You Alycia! I think just about everyone in blogland 'knows' Alycia at Alycia Quilts! She is just the sweetest and works tirelessly for the Quilts of Valor Foundation to cover our veterans!

She nominated me for the Outstanding Blogger Award a few days back. I started my blog after I moved to Wisconsin and was missing my Texas quilting friends. It served as a way to keep myself accountable and moving forward with my sewing. My Texas friends had been my motivation when I lived there and I learned so much from them that I am eternally grateful for accepting me into their bee. Yes! The guild in Texas had sewing bees!!!

Now onto learning a little more about me...

*How did you get started quilting?

    In 2001, I made two New Year's Resolutions. One was to learn quilting so I could assemble embroidered blocks for my daughter's quilt (she was born in 1999). The second was to take a Wilton cake decorating class. Well, I took the beginner quilting class first and 20 years later, I still have NOT enrolled in a cake decorating class...LOL

*What is your favorite block?

    I have always love the versatility of the 4 patch block. Lately though, I've been making quite a few stars and I really like the wonky meets floating star. No points to cut off and a slightly random look so everything looks right!!!

*Do you participate in a quilt club or guild?

    Yes! It's one of the fastest ways to meet people after a move. For awhile, our family moved every two or three years for about 10 years.

*Have you ever entered a quilt in a competition?

    Yes! I was so traumatized by people saying 'nasty things' about my quilt that years later when my Quilting Buddy and I would go to a show, we had a catch phrase to signal each other (ok, mostly me) to stop being so critical. Our phrase was, 'This Quilt NEEDS more blue!'.

    The theme was 'Black and White and Red Allover'. Remember, I had been quilting for about 3 years when I  entered the show. The placement of the hearts were in question. 




*What do you enjoying doing outside of the quilting world?

    I'm mostly an indoor girl so I like to read and watch movies, drink copious amounts of coffee (dreading the day I am told to cut back) and believe it or not, I try to go on at least one boat ride a season! My in laws have a cottage on a lake and I love to troll in the pontoon. I enjoy traveling to new places, also.


One time, I even was able to be on a really big boat for my seasonal ride! LOL



Thanks Alycia for the nomination!

Now to nominate a few fellow bloggers, playing along is truly up to you! 😍

    (I'm sure she has a 'real' name but I like 'Little Penguin')


The questions are:

*How did you get started quilting?
*What is your favorite block?
*Do you participate in a quilt club or guild?
*Have you ever entered a quilt in competition?
*What do you enjoy doing outside of quilting?

Have fun, friends!


2 comments:

Sherrill said...

Congrats!! You really get a lot accomplished. I love both of your black, white and red quilts. I love boats, too, and would be so excited to have a pontoon at my disposal! But I do love those big boats and have really missed being on them the past year. Hopefully soon!!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh My Gosh - I loved this!!! Hmmm about that cake decorating class tho - haha!! I am with you - always thought that would be fun, but I end up just eating the cake!! I love your quilt competition quilt - and the heart placement - I guess it takes all kinds right! and I love the Boats!! what fun!!