Wednesday, August 11, 2021

WIP Wednesday 8.11.2021

I've been sewing on my snowman calendar quilt. I added the sashing...


I then had the bright (?) idea to use the leftover framing pieces as the border. Only thing, they were cut at 3.5 inches and I wanted 6.5 inches. I'll just do two rounds a la Bonnie Hunter. The first round and it looks okay...


The second round...I'm not real sold on this one!


pattern inspiration: blocks: Bonnie Hunter here
                                border: Bonnie Hunter here

I might take (or cut!) off the final border and put the solid gray on it... I'm leaning towards re-working the border.

I dug into my novelty squares and had discovered 5 slant Happy Blocks from the Oconomowoc Quilt Guild that were done as part of a demo. I thought I like 48 for a 6x8 set of 9 inch finished blocks for a 54 x 72 quilt. I only need 43 more slant Happy Blocks. I can do that! Here is the stack of novelties with a stack of frames.


In a jiffy, I had 4 rows of blocks made.


There are a couple of different ways to make this block. The Happy Block directions are on Mary's website, here. I actually use 6.5 inch squares and make the adjustments needed. 

One way is to make oversized blocks then cut them down on the angle. 

The other way is to follow the instructions in Sharyn Craig's Twist 'n Turn book.


Guess which way I chose to make these blocks! 

The oversize and cut down because I'm angle challenged!


 

2 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Ohhh I am totally loving on the way you are doing that border!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I think you're right about that second border on the panel quilt, but unsewing is no fun! I love the slanted happy blocks. I haven't tried those, might have to!