Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Design Wall Tuesday 8.31.2021

 ...not too much happening in the sewing room.

We (DH and I) took an impromptu road trip to Milwaukee to visit DD. Well, I was visiting and DH wanted to replace her older SUV with a more current vehicle. She's somewhat alone over in Milwaukee and we worry about her! The only picture I took of us was at her new restaurant where she works. We ate there on Sunday night. She is a bit of a goofball...I suppose the apple doesn't fall far from the tree! (I'm the goofy one...DH much more serious!)


DD decided she wanted to try out driving a car so we swapped out her 2012 Ford Escape for a 2018 Honda Accord. Her Escape was a great ride for her and we didn't have very many worries about her living and schooling in Marquette, Michigan! That's in the UP of Michigan on the shores of Lake Superior...fyi.

A funny little side note: Her brother drove a 2012 Honda Accord coupe for 5 years. He also did the chef lifestyle for about 10 years. Now he drives a semi truck. If she wants to start driving a semi...I might get a little worried...LOL 

I have always heard that imitation is the highest form of flattery!


We then drove home Monday afternoon...a 6 hour ride one way!

I send my kids 'secret pal' cards just like my mother sent to me when se was alive. But now I sign 'NOT so secret pal' as they both know it's me. LOL I usually buy cards at the Dollar Tree but I haven't been able to find cards for the patriotic holidays of Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day. This morning I made my own. My intention was to make cards in June but...it didn't happen. Pretty simple card but it really is all about the $5 inside!


Cards inspiration: found here.

Onto the quilty content. I did buy a few yards of various oriental scraps and bigger pieces to use with an Oriental panel I received in a grab bag somewhere along the way. Saturday, I started cutting the scraps, fq and whatever else followed me home. Here's where I left it on Sunday.


I'm following the cutting instructions from this pattern. When I used to go on hop shops in our pre COVID days, I would buy a pattern as my souvenir. As you can see, I needed a rather large coping border to bring the panel to size.



As we were driving, I kept wondering if I should swap out the gold for cream or use cream as the outer border and keep gold as the inner or use gold inner and gold outer. I cut a few strips and gave it an audition.


I think the beige gets lost as the outerish border so I'm leaning towards the gold. I'm probably too lazy to replace the inner border so I just might end up with gold inner and gold outerish border.

It's marinating right now.

Linking up with Judy at Design Wall Monday

1 comment:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Sounds like a super fun trip!!
and how sweet - I love the idea of your cards!