Monday, October 18, 2021

Design Wall Monday 10.19.2021

My FB Quilt of Valor Stars group is having a mini block drive through Veteran's Day, November 11, 2021. The suggested stars are:

1. Split Star block and 
2. any variation of the Friendship Star (this is the basic Friendship Star). 

I decided to make a few red/white friendship star blocks. 


I added the friendship stars to a few blocks I found in my QOV orphan blocks and parts box. Here they are on the design wall. Center row right are the split star blocks. The big center row block is the MSQC Binding Tool star.


I then thought, 'this quilt needs more blue', so I made a few blue friendship star blocks. I wanted to make sure that the friendship stars 'spun' in the same direction.


I then swapped out the bottom reds for blues.


Yes...I am liking this arrangement.

This arrangement is loosely based on a quilt I saw on Pinterest called 'Flower and Vine Flower Garden BOM'. The quilt shop was selling it as a kit but it is now a dead link and I haven't found the designer yet to give credit. :(



Star block credits:
                                1. MSQC Binding Tool Star
                                2. Basic Friendship Star
                                3. Split Star*

*split star is a download from the FB QOV Working Stars Files, I haven't figured out 'how' to save it then link here...I just might take a photo of the directions to post...

Well, that is today's update!

2 comments:

Sherrill said...

So are you putting a top together or sending all those blocks along to a group who will assemble into tops? I love friendship stars but don't do them often (not sure why).

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love all your different stars in that project! I've never made the Split Stars - they are a neat design!