Monday, April 11, 2022

Design Wall Monday 4.11.2022

When the guild announced the Annual Quilt Challenge: Half Square Triangles, I groaned...I'm not real good at sewing those pesky triangle units! Then I got excited because I remembered Alycia provided a whole slew of blocks for her Half Square Triangle Project, found here

Do you ever hear one thing and someone else hears another? Well, I think I misunderstood the parameters of the challenge but I've come to far to abandon what I am creating. LOL I heard, " Use black and white and up to three different accent colors-any shade or tone in that color family. It can be any size and must be a completed quilt...top, batting, backing, quilted and bound."

So I decided on 3.5 inch unfinished HST's as a 16 patch. My finished blocks in the quilt will be 12 inches. Since I needed a whole slew of black and white hst's, I used the tube method and an old Quilt In A Day ruler I had. 

Here are the black and white blocks.


Hummm....back to the stash and I pulled various shades of gray and made more hst's.


I made a few more blocks trying to add a little variety.


I ended here when I ripped one block about three times because I kept sewing it very wonky!

                        various Pinterest pins

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Ooh that is looking so very good. I remember Alycia's triangles. I made one or two and then quit. Mostly because I didn’t like my fabrics. I hope you share what the challenge actually said about requirements. I’ve quilted tow beautiful quilts recently that were mostly greys and cream. I think one had a a few more neutrals but they both were really lovely. And sophisticated.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love all the different blocks you can make with half square triangles! A whole quilt in black, gray and white will be really interesting, too. I think it will look shadowy!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Ohhhh That is going to be SO cool!! I love black and white !!