Monday, April 4, 2022

Design Wall Monday 4.4.2022

First up, I finished the rest of my #heartsofhope blocks. I have 25 total. I'm not sure if I will ask my guild members to join in or just make more blocks. I'm almost thinking about making some 12.5 inch heart blocks to mix in...


 pattern: Bonnie Hunter's #heartsofhope sew along.

note to self: I made fabric strata by cutting 1.5 inch strips.
                    blue: pieced 3: 1.5 inch strips together than sub-cut to 3.5 inches
                    yellow: pieced 6: 1.5 inch strips together than sub-cut to 6.5 inches
                    completed heart shapes as directed

Do you ever do 'something' in the sewing room because you need to 'use up' something?

Well, I had quite a few bobbins of dark thread that I was looking to use for Baby. I also wanted to make blocks that showcased the crumbs. <lightbulb moment>

I pulled out my dark to medium blue scraps.


I was able to make 38 crumb blocks! I cut my crumb blocks at 6.5 inches square.


But, I still had quite a few pieces of the blues that were cut-offs from the first set of blocks. So, like a good quilter, I proceeded to make 31 more darker blue crumb blocks. I'm actually liking the second set better than the first set.


I was happy! All I had left are a few of the starter pieces for future blocks. Only thing, I used up just about all the darker blues from the scrap box. Not to Worry! The box is still full of the light blues! LOL


My plan is to make star blocks with the crumbs as the centers and use with this eagle panel. This is my fabric pull for 
this quilt.

pattern inspiration: crumb blocks, public domain


pattern inspiration: Once again, I have a photo in my library with no identification. 
                                I can only guess 'where' I saw this one...Pinterest or Facebook?



On a fun note: I won a t-shirt from the FB QOV Working Stars group for sewing along on the QOV National Sew Day and it arrived today! I'll be 'styling' when I go to sew with the local QOV group! I think it's a rather generous size!! Plenty of room to sew, iron and cut! LOL



Thanks for making it to the end of a rather long post...Somehow it just grew and grew....

6 comments:

Rebecca Grace said...

Thanks for sharing your process with these blocks, Pat. “Fabric strata” is a term I’ve never heard before. Your Hearts of Hope blocks look great!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your hearts! And your crumb blocks, too - they'll make great star centers. Congratulations on your t-shirt win - looks like it will be comfy!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Your hearts are so great - but!
You know me - I LOVE LOVE LOVE those crumb blocks!! that will be fabulous!!!
and yes - I would say wash that shirt in HOT water ... haha!

Kat said...

I love all your projects! Blue crumb blocks are so fun.

Judy Hansen said...

Hi Pat,
You have done a great job with your blue scraps. The QOV will be so nice with the stars made from them. And the QOV shirt is too funny. I would wear it with tights and a belt for a dress. Hugs, Judy

Judy in Michigan said...

Good job Pat - isn't it funny how when trying to use up scraps, they just keep reproducing into more scraps. Looks like you tamed the scrap uprising!!