Friday, August 23, 2024

Finish or NOT Friday 8.23.2024

I'll take a *sorta* finish today. I did finish the piecing my 'Splash'. It's a pattern found in Amanda Jean Nyberg and Cheryl Arkison's book Sunday Morning Quilts. I wanted mine a little smaller as it will be part of my Crumb lecture trunk show. 


pattern inspiration: Splash in Sunday Morning Quilts by Amanda Jean Nyberg
                                        and Cheryl Arkison.

So what did I do instead of quilting?

I volunteered to work Thursday at the Quilt of Valor Booth at the AQS Grand Rapids Quilt Show! I enjoy talking to the show's attendees and hearing their stories. My viewing of the show is limited to glimpses on breaks...


photo credit: FB Michigan Makers member. 
(I really liked this photo and next year, I hope to remember to take my own like this!)

Here are a few of the booth this year. We were lucky to be given two booths! One for the area to have Signature blocks signed and one for the Fabric Relocation Station.



This is Tammy at the Fabric Relocation Station. She is so good at matching colors and fabrics that attendees would pick up what she put together and take the fabric home. Any fabric that is donated to the Michigan group that is not suitable for Quilts of Valor is cut into 1/2 yard cuts (or sometimes bigger or smaller depending on the donation) and offered for $1.00/cut suggested donation. It is one of two major fund raisers that the Michigan Quilts of Valor does. The other fundraiser takes place during the Original Sewing and Quilting Expo held in November at the Novi's Suburban Collection Showplace. 

I'll be watching the free table at guild in the coming months!

This is the entrance picture that I took. I always liked the structure attendees pass through to get to the show exhibit hall.


Road update: The first layer of asphalt was laid while I was away yesterday! Yea! I wasn't trapped in/out of my house. I was told once the first layer is laid that there is a 3 hour waiting period before driving on it. Today the closest entrance to my house is getting asphalt laid and the other way, the old asphalt is being removed. Good thing that there is always something to keep me busy in the sewing room...I don't feel trapped at all. LOL


Thanks for sticking with me on this long post. <grin>



6 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I just got home from Grand Rapids where friends and I attended the AQS show. Lots of beautiful quilts! Happy stitching!

Bonnie said...

What a great way to raise funds for Quilts of Valor. I enjoy going to big quilt shows. Lots of quilts to see and venders to see.

Delighted Hands said...

How nice of you to volunteer at the QOV Booth! I always visit their booth at the AQS show! I never feel trapped at home either!

Melva said...

Quilt shows are always full of inspiration. I like the term fabric relocation station. Clever. I'd love to have you join me for my weekly Sew & Tell party. Blessings, Melva

Gwyned Trefethen said...

I was struck by how Splash relates to the map of Michigan to the right of it on your post.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a fun SPlash quilt!!
and Yay - that booth looks amazing - I like the idea of how you sell your fabrics for a fundraiser!