Sunday, February 4, 2024

Quilt of Valor Sew Day 2024

I had a full day of sewing on Saturday 2.3.2024 as I participated in the National Quilt of Valor Sew Day.


 I sewed virtually with my FB QOV Working Stars group and our block theme this year is Friendship Stars. So I prepped 12 the day before. Ready to sew...


I chose a pattern that my friend Rhesa had shared with me in November 2023.  


This is Rhesa's quilt for inspiration.

Before lunch, I had my 12 Friendship Stars made.


After lunch, I dug into my extra 2.5 inch strip bin to make the remainder of the rows.

Oh no! I should have read the pattern a little closer. It calls for 3.5 inch strips and NOT 2.5 inch strips! Time to pivot and adjust the pattern...a design opportunity!

After a little un-sewing, re-sewing and math. Here is my result. It measures about 64 x 80 before quilting.

pattern: Lisa Sutherland...she is searching for this pattern to share.

Note to self: You can use 3.5 inch or 2.5 inch strips just make sure every set is
                         equal to a star that you are replacing. For example:
                            4 x 3.5 inch strips = 12.5 inches or
                            6 x 2.5 inches = 12.5 inches

All in all, I feel I had a successful sewing day!




6 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

You did good in adjusting the strip size. Nice to know either works.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Great quilt of valor, very striking! And nice job solving the math issue.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Great pivot and what a terrific result! I like the QOV pattern you all chose.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You did have a good sew day yesterday! That's a beautiful design, and yours turned out just great!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I would say that you had a hugely successful sew day, Pat. Well done!!

Sherrill said...

I LOVE IT!! So pretty! You did great working through the snafu. Way to go!