Friday, February 16, 2024

SAHRR Round 4: 2.16.2024

I'm a little late to the linky party this week for the SAHRR (Stay at Home Round Robin). Brenda at Songbird Designs chose Square in a Square or On Point as this weeks prompt. I was not looking forward to this round. 

I first made my Square in a Square with the traditional method as I looked up the charts for the size cuts I needed. For a 4 inch finished blocks, cut the center fabric at 3 3/8 inch and the setting triangles at 3 3/8 inch and cut on the diagonal once. I did that, sewed a few together to check it out and when I went to square up...all points were going to be lost. Ummm...set this project aside.

I then re-cut a few inner squares to 3 1/4 inches and kept the outer triangles the same. Sewed a few together and this moved my points in so they appear to float...to me ~ sorta.

I made a whole slew of these little buggers. Sewed my first border...ummm. too long. Un-sew one block and add a spacer on either side of the row and ta-da! Round 4 is now complete! (It is square ~ my picture is wonky)

It's 48 1/2 inches (square) and my next rounds will be added to the top and bottom to get the lenght required for QOV.

Sharing with Brenda at Songbird Designs


8 comments:

JanineMarie said...

I like how your spacers set off the corners. Yay for you hanging in there to get the blocks how you wanted them.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I like those corners, too! You definitely did make a bunch of those blocks - looks great!

Delighted Hands said...

Yes, a quilting friend showed me how to 'float' points for a star or square and I love using it!!! This is looking great!

Angie in SoCal said...

This is going along beautifully. Love how the S-i-S turned out. Will be a maghificent QOV. Blessings,

piecefulwendy said...

This is looking really nice. I had the same issue with my blocks, losing the points. I had to keep redoing them until I got it right. I ended up with four blocks used, but probably made three times that many - LOL.

Cathy said...

Oh, gosh, sorry to hear about the troubles with the SIS blocks. You did end up with a fabulous round after all is said and done AND that is going to be a gorgeous QOV!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

That sounds very annoying but your square in square border looks wonderful now it's finished :)

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Your square in a square borders looks great, Pat! I really like the corner blocks with the spacers. Thanks for joining in with us!